Deadly Echoes by Nancy Mehl - GIVEAWAY
1. What inspired you to write your newest book, Deadly Echoes?
Actually, I’d been thinking about jealousy and competitiveness. Why sometimes we feel threatened by someone else’s success, looks, or possessions. I was wondering what causes us to compare ourselves to others in the first place. Jealousy is like a slow poison that can work its way into every area of our lives if we open the door to it. It weakens us and steals our joy. I believe a lack of knowing who we are in Christ makes us susceptible to the green-eyed monster. Addressing this problem inspired Deadly Echoes.
My main character, Sarah Miller, was orphaned at a young age. Her sister, Hannah, was adopted, but Sarah wasn’t. Even though her life has turned out well, She’s never lost her belief that Hannah was adopted because she was prettier and more worthy of love. Sarah would never admit to being jealous of Hannah. She truly loves her sister, yet she lives under Hannah’s shadow, accepting a false reality based on her own feelings of inadequacy. As my story unfolds, Sarah will not only have to deal with threats from the outside, she will have to look inward and deal with her own demons.
2. Ah, sibling rivalry. I think we're all familiar with that. Tell us about the plot.After a youth filled with tragedy and upheaval, Sarah Miller's life is finally settled with all echoes of the past silent at last. She happily calls Sanctuary her home and spends her days teaching at the local school.
Sarah's joy at her recent reunion with her sister, Hannah, and meeting the niece she didn't know she had is too soon interrupted when Deputy Sheriff Paul Gleason informs Sarah her sister has been killed.
As she learns more about Hannah's death, the circumstances are eerily similar to their parents' murder. Sarah enlists Paul's help in digging deeper into the murders the police are dismissing as burglaries gone wrong. Paul's concern encourages Sarah's growing feelings for him, but as their investigation peels back the layers of lies almost twenty years old, they get close to uncovering the truth one person will do anything to hide--even if that means coming after the last remaining members of the Miller family.
3. Intense! Now we just have to know what happens! What usually fuels your inspiration?Deadlines certainly make me look for inspiration, LOL! But the truth is, I’m in love with stories – and characters. I love to see my stories and my characters develop and change.
4. Oh, so true! There's nothing like crunch time to keep an author moving. Besides those deadlines, why do you write?I write because I truly believe I’m called to it. And I love it. At this point in my life, it’s just part of who I am.
5. I understand that. There is nothing as satisfying as doing what God made us to do. What are your favorite types of books to read?
I like almost everything, but I think my favorite genres are mystery and suspense. Believe it or not, I also love biographies. I’ve found that many writers are the same way. I think it has to do with a love for understanding people so we can create interesting characters.
6. What are you working on now? Any new books being released this year?Actually, right now I’m writing an Amish cozy mystery for Guideposts. I’m working with one of my all time favorite editors. It’s been so much fun. Blessings in Disguise, Book One in the Sugarcreek Amish Mysteries series, will release in June of this year.
I recently finished the third book in my Finding Sanctuary series. Rising Darkness brings back two characters from my Road to Kingdom series. I felt I’d left them hanging in Unbreakable. It was very satisfying to complete their story. This book will hit book shelves later this year.
7. That sounds very interesting. I love reading about characters I've met before. How can readers connect with you?My website is: www.nancymehl.com. I’m very active on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nancy-Mehl-Fan-Page/124075957622557https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nancy-Mehl-Fan-Page/124075957622557 And I work with several other suspense/mystery authors on the Suspense Sisters! http://suspensesisters.blogspot.com/http://suspensesisters.blogspot.com/
8. Oh, I love Suspense Sisters! Anything else you’d like to share?
I love to hear from readers! Thanks for hosting me!
Thanks, Nancy. I'm looking forward to seeing your new books on the shelf!
Nancy Mehl lives in Festus, Missouri, with her husband, Norman, and her very active puggle, Watson. She’s authored twenty books and just finished a new series for Bethany House Publishing. The first book in her Finding Sanctuary series, Gathering Shadows, was released in May of 2014. The second book, Deadly Echoes became available in February. The third book, Rising Darkness, will release late in 2015. She is also working on an Amish cozy mystery series for Guideposts.
Readers, you can win a copy of Nancy's brand new book, Deadly Echoes, right here! Between now and March 11, 2015, leave a comment telling us either (a) which one of Nancy's books you've enjoyed the most or (b) the type of book you most like to read. The winner will be chosen at random from qualifying entries.