P.T. Barnum is credited with saying that there’s a sucker born every minute. Well, I’m one of them. At least when it comes to Christmas movies.
Here's my personal top ten countdown:
10. The Polar Express-Even with Tom Hanks overload, I want a ticket on that train. And I want to hear the bell ring.
9. Prep and Landing-Premiered just last year, but I enjoyed the tale of the elves who have to make sure that the houses are all ready for Santa’s visit. Think Mission Impossible with Christmas elves.
8. Miracle on 34th Street-Classic. Good storytelling and great characters. I think my favorite part is when Kris Kringle bops the pettifogging manager over the head.
7. Home Alone-Oh, that Kevin, and his hijinks. Just love his shenanigans as he singlehandedly battles the bad guys and protects his home, before being reunited with his parents.
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas-The animated version. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and my heart grows three sizes bigger when I watch it, I feel strong enough to hold a sleigh piled high with gifts. Or at least, strong enough to face the mall again for one last mad dash.
5. Elf-I know it annoys some people, but I love this movie. It is a riot. Humongous Will Ferrell in an elf costume. Come on, what’s not to love? (My husband disagrees!)
4. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer-I know the stop motion animation is cheesy and it looks a little shabbier every year, but I don’t care. I love Rudolph and Hermie the elf who wants to be a dentist, and all the misfit toys.
3. Mickey’s Christmas Carol-Yep, the Disney version with Mickey Mouse and Scrooge McDuck. I know. I know, my husband thinks I’m crazy because I like cartoons as much now as I did when I was kid. I know my tastes aren’t sophisticated. Like I said, I’m a sucker!
2. It’s a Wonderful Life-Makes me cry every time. And I love it!
1. White Christmas-My all time favorite Christmas movie. I love it when Bing Crosby sings Count Your Blessings to Rosemary Clooney. I love it when General Waverly appears in the dining room and the big surprise is all ready for him. I love the songs and the dancing, and the sheer joyful lightheartedness of it.
Okay, so we’ve established that I’m a goof with the tastes of a 7 year-old. Now I turn the mic over to you, what are your favorites? What great ones have I missed?